- I am officially over halfway one done with the first round of editing my NaNoWriMo project (I am on page 55 of 103, just finished Chapter 5), and I haven’t felt inspired in weeks. Editing is such an odd thing. I stare at the words, understand the words, fix the words, change the words — but is anything actually improving? Sometimes I think the tearing apart of something I built is the least creativity-inducing thing I could be doing.
- I didn’t really edit last night. I wrote an additional scene that needed to be written. It has been highlighted in my draft for weeks, a red flag that wasn’t good enough but I didn’t know how to make it catch the wind. And then, suddenly, one of my characters said something that told me how to fix it. The answer was right there, in the text I produced months ago while writing between hotels. It occurred to me that I had been so distracted by commas I had forgotten to listen to what my story is actually about.
- I read this article on NaNoWrimo’s website that challenges writers to “immerse themselves in the protagonist’s predicament.” I am now wondering if the responses my characters have to obstacles and situations are realistic, relate-able, or true. To be honest, I am still getting to know my players. They are sort of floundering about on a half-built stage in tacky costumes.
- I run into trouble with the creative process when I try to control it. (Letting go of that is a challenge for a control-freak like myself.) I want to edit/write for a certain amount of time each day, and when that doesn’t happen, I beat myself up because this book is more important than any other project I’ve worked on. Sometimes I prioritize House of Cards instead. Other times I feel inspired when I am not “supposed” to, when I don’t have the time to write.
- In the last few weeks, I have been experiencing a lot of writer’s doubt, but I know this is normal and there is no way I can improve if I don’t keep trying. So maybe, in this case, doubt is healthy because it is motivating me to get to a point where I don’t doubt the story anymore.
That’s all I have for now on the novel front! ❤